Chronic Beauty: 5 Green Beauty Health Hacks
Glowing. Youthful. Dewy. Radiant. Healthy.
These buzz words are used to advertise pretty much every beauty product ever. Why? Because these words epitomize health and awesomeness. And don’t lie– even if we already have health, we want more. If we don’t have it (see: illness, chronic) then we definitely subscribe to the whole “fake it ‘til you make it” routine. After all, there’s nothing worse than being sick AND having people constantly tell you how “tired” you look. (Which, let’s face it, is really just a euphemism for: daaammmnnnn girl, you look like hell!) So how can we hack the look of health when our bodies are in a constant war zone, leaving us with sallow skin, puffy eyes, and purplish eye bags so intense it incites neighborhood gossip over why we’re constantly getting punched in the face? Naturally, when you’re already battling for health, the last thing you want is to load more toxic conventional products onto the largest, most porous organ in your body (your skin) especially once you know that it takes under 25 seconds for 60% of said product to enter your bloodstream. (Eek!) So here’s my top 5 tried-and-true all natural/organic green beauty health hacks.
- The W3LL PEOPLE Bio-Brightener Stick. This bad boy is AMAZING! It’s by far my number one health hack. I can pop this baby on, and even if I’m practically tottering with fatigue, holding onto my husband’s arm for support, hunched from losing my lunch just an hour before, I always get comments on how great I look. (Note: I don’t get out much due to my illness, so these comments are usually coming from health professionals. So that should say something in and of itself, mmmkay?) This creamy brightener comes in a super easy to apply pancake stick form, and lasts FOREVER. I warm up the product by lightly circling my finger over the top, and then swipe over the inner third of my lid (focusing more product at the inner corner), over the brown bone, cupid’s bow, and lately, I’ve also really been loving tapping just a tiny bit over my cheekbones. (The first time I did this, my mom gasped that I looked like a model. Blush. Mumble thank you. Tell her she’s your mom, so she’s not a reliable critic. Then secretly promise yourself to never. Stop. Using it.) I could rave about this all day, but let’s just say it’s health in a stick. ‘Nough said. I buy mine off Pharmaca, because they’re always having 15-30% off sales, and for the month of December, they’re running a special on W3LL PEOPLE with an additional 15% off the sale price. Score!
- Kjaer Weis Cream Blush. I always get complimented when I wear these. They are dewy, highly pigmented so they’ll last forever, beautifully formulated (organic!), and hello? Can we talk about the packaging? That luxe hefty silver refillable compact that makes me want to laugh dismissively and say trite phrases in an upper-crust nasal voice, like, “oh, this old thing?” and “hello daaaaahhhhling!” LOVE. (Plus after the initial purchase, refills are way cheaper.) I find the color “Blossoming” to be the exact color I flush. It’s the perfect snow bunny just-got-back-from-the-slopes look. I also have “Abundance” which has a lovely mauve undertone, and was designed to be a double duty product for cheek color and contouring! I also like to pop this in my crease, where it somehow magically pulls more purple than it does on the cheek. I love this color when I’m doing a cooler toned look to match my favorite silver and turquoise jewelry (yes I plan my makeup and outfits around my jewelry, what do you think I am, a wildebeest?!) Just be sure to apply lightly, lest you get that punched-in-the-face look due to the purple undertone. These two are my favorites but blush is such a personal preference, so I highly recommend scooting over to SpiritBeautyLounge and checking out their sample program: 6 samples for $25. After that, you can find these on Integrity Botanicals for 15% off your purchase if you give your email.
- Evan Healy HydroSouls. I love this hack! Not only do I use this facial mist after I cleanse to re-balance and alkalize my skin, but I also use it to set my makeup! Spraying your face with a hydrosoul helps your makeup set, stay longer, and imparts a subtle, dewy finish. (It also stops you from breathing in any microscopic powder particles near your nose and mouth. Umm… Yes, please!) Plus, Evan Healy’s production technique purposely retains the benefits of the essential oils by distilling at a low heat over a long period of time, something many companies gloss over, since it’s faster and cheaper to distill oils with a high heat (which kills off most of the benefits.) I personally use the Lemon Thyme Facial Tonic HydroSoul, because it’s great for my oily/blemish prone skin, but my favorite is and shall always be the Tulsi Holy Basil HydroSoul. I call this my “happy juice.” The aroma is intoxicating, and tulsi basil is a rockstar for lowering stress, combating neurological issues, and regulating hormones.
- Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Shampoo and Leave-in Conditioner. Okay, look. You have to resign yourself to the fact that this shampoo? Doesn’t foam. The foam is GONE, man. Shhh. It’s okay. Let it go. Once you get past this, prepare to line your shower with bubblewrap because you? Are about to swoon. The milky blend of essential oils smells heavenly- spicy with a super-powered sinus-awakening shot of mint. I seriously imagine I’m a fairy traipsing through an enchanted forest every time I use this. It makes my hair shiny, super soft, and somehow manages to straighten out my hair. The Leave-in conditioner is just as luxurious, and smells like spiced cedar. This is no flowery fruity typical lady mix, oh, no sir! (My husband actually stole the travel-sized tube I bought when I first tried this conditioner, and now he uses it exclusively.) Check out the travel sizes of the shampoo here and leave-in conditioner here, or go for the full sizes here and here. I use Pharmaca and wait for a 25-30% off sale to keep the costs down. Note: There’s also a 32 oz. shampoo option that comes with a pump for any of you with a PICC line who need to shower one-handed. Been there, my friends!
- W3LL PEOPLE Nudist ColorBalm OR Ilia Beauty Tinted Lip Conditioner. Nothing says health like a luscious, moisture-rich lip. That said, I’m all about every-day functional beauty, and lipstick? Doesn’t come out of my drawer unless I’m going to a super fancy shindig. That’s why these two formulations are perfect. My daily shade is the W3LL PEOPLE Nudist ColorBalm in #7 (Nude.) It’s the PERFECT nude: a gorgeous neutral pinky-brown that is highly moisturizing and is very buildable. Slick on over a lip balm for a very subtle wash, or do what I do and build up over freshly cleansed lips. I like to finish by buffing a few circles over the pout of my lips, and then let it set for a few minutes. No lie, this technique lasts me until practically dinner time! I also really like #1 (Coral) for a warm rosy, dewy flush, and #3 (Cherry) for an understated holiday red. Now, if you prefer more of a conditioning lipstick to the Nudist lipstick/lip balm hybrid, it’s Ilia Beauty all the way! Long wearing, very comfortable on the lips, and the colors are just beautiful! (And if you apply to clean, dry lips, also extremely pigmented.) My favorites are “Shell Shock” which pulls more of a brighter coral-pink on me, and “Bang Bang” which is described as “red lipstick for people who are afraid of red.” So true. Both of these are sooo lustrous, you’ll find yourself rubbing your lips together constantly! (It’s okay. It makes you look pensive… I hope…)
Well, that’s it, folks! My 5 Green Beauty Health Hacks. I hope you enjoyed my first Chronic Beauty post, and if you did, don’t forget to like and share! If you try any (or all) of these hacks, be sure to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @KaitlynGGuay!
Love and Light,
P.S. Have a Green Beauty Health Hack you think I need to know about? Comment down below! I love hearing from you!